The ability to withstand extreme temperatures makes DuPont™ Kalrez® perfluoroelastomer parts ideal for use in aircraft and aerospace applications. Kalrez® parts also withstand aggressive aerospace fluids, including jet fuels, engine lubrication oils, hydraulic fluids, rocket propellants and oxidizers. Seals fabricated with DuPont™ Viton® fluoroelastomer are routinely used in commercial and military aircraft turbine engines, auxiliary power units and hydraulic actuators. The high performance properties of Viton® have been well documented in many aircraft and missile components over the past 50+ years. Kalrez® parts and seals made of Viton® have proven their superior performance in such applications as:
- Aviation, marine and industrial gas turbine engines
- Auxiliary power units
- Hydraulic actuators
- Bleed air valves and fittings
- O-rings used in line fittings, connectors, valves, pumps and oil reservoirs
- Radial lip seals used in pumps
- Manifold gaskets
- Coated fabric covers for jet engine exhausts between flights
- Firewall seals
- Abrasion-resistant solution coating over braid-sheathed ignition cable
- Clips for jet engine wiring harnesses tire valve stem seals
- Siphon hose for hot engine lubricants
DuPont™ Kalrez® seals combine the chemical inertness and thermal stability of fluoropolymer with the leak-stopping resilience of an elastomer. The unique properties of Kalrez® parts can help you meet the most demanding sealing challenges, while allowing you to "design-in" benefits ranging from reduced downtime, to lower operating costs, to improved personnel safety.
Prevailing trends in aircraft turbine engine applications converge to push engine thermodynamics to their limits, which manifests in higher operating and soakback temperatures. As a result, engine manufacturers are driven towards high temperature stabilized oils in order to achieve engine performance and life targets. Specialty types of Viton® (GLT) are being adopted, since they display outstanding resistance to these aggressive HTS-type oils.